Friday, August 26, 2011

Wingello, this time, no monkey business!

With the Husky 100ker, the JetBlack 12hr and a little GP under my belt in the last month it was time to tighten it up a notch or two and emulate my team mates success. Sure, they didn't have the same racing schedule as I but, it was Wingello, fun, fun Wingello. Time to put the serious hammer down and have a ball.

There was a little problem, as for the Husky the weather was playing a factor, well lets just say Moss Vale had a fairly high rainfall the previous 48hrs. I forced a smile, there wouldn't be big bottomless pools of water, there would be a bit of sticky clay and possibly some mud. From what I could remember Wingello was hard packed, mostly on-camber and could handle a little dampness.

With a mix of mostly Canberra and Sydney riders numbers did seem down a little from previous rounds. The rain had stopped some time during the early morning and it was breaking into a fine morning as we bunched up, the fast boys hustling the front rows, for the fire-trail start. I squeezed next to Merida rider "Tails" and just behind SS Ed. Then we were off and flying.

Thanks to a great long fire-trail sections before and after transition and regular breaks in the single track I never had any problems with traffic throughout the day. Early on it was all about holding the fast pace, keeping up with the team riders and holding a good line through the muddiest bits. Before long it was lunch time, the track had cleaned up nicely but if you were looking for mud you could find half an inch of it covering myself and the Yeti.

Then there was the sweet single track, you hardly had to brake it flowed so nicely. Winding up and down the ridgelines with a few pinches just to keep us honest. My crew said I was in 7th early on and I kept my pace as high as sustainable, then it was 5th, over the final hours I pulled in 4th and managed a little breathing space too. Time to break out the GoPro on fun, fun Wingello.

Very happy to finish 4th. Loving the new Team Enduro Pulse kit from Champion Systems, have to say, they best knicks I have ridden in yet. Thanks to my support crew for dishing out my Hammer fuel and for keeping an eye on me. It was super fun to ride with such nice riders out on course, see you at the next enduro!

No comments:

Post a Comment