Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Woops, how could I forget the JetBlack 24hr?


The second running of the JetBlack 24hr for 2011 was to be held at Botanical Garden Mt Annan on the ever growing Enduro Trail.
With recent JetBlack 24’s being known for getting some terrible Hawkesbury February weather, Rocky Trail Entertainment decided to move location and the month of the event.
I cringed when I heard it was to be in December, imagining a sweltering South Western Sydney summers day. However, I convinced my support crew I would take it easy and if it was extremely hot, riding would play second fiddle to hydration and shade.
We arrived at the event centre and it was already bustling with bikes, people and tents. Coffee, BBQ, showers and toilets all the basics seemed to be catered for, bike mechanics, live DJ, and Bernard beverages. Wait a minute, beer? At Rocky Trail events anything is possible.

After a week of mixed weather Saturday turned out to be fine with clear skies. The trail was in good nick too, hard-packed and dry. We started with a loop around the event centre on the fire-trail to spread out the field before heading onto the single-trail of the Enduro Trail.
The first couple of laps were good sighting laps, getting a feel for the flow and grind. The double tabletops at the far end of the trail were an instant favourite, popping them for some easy air-time, but it was on my fourth lap I popped off the second one landing on the short down ramp squirreling on the front wheel.
It had attempted to roll the rubber off the wheel and there was dirt in the bead letting out air. I guess I was having too much fun.

The afternoon heated up, reaching into the thirties and after hours of constant use the trail was beginning to get dusty. Leading solo riders Jason English and Ed McDonald had already lapped me but this wasn’t unusual (they commonly pass me mid race during an eight hour). I was attempting to ride in a low heart rate zone, aiming to have plenty in reserve for later.

With 500 riders gathered from around NSW, ACT and even as far away as QLD for the 24 and 6+6 event the event centre was always busy and had a nice vibe with plenty of encouragement from other riders and spectators.

Out on the trail there was always a spot to pass or be passed without much effort. Everyone was enjoying the twists, turns and berms that feature so heavily in many sections of the trail.

It was probably not the time or place to figure out my last event, the BottleButt 100, had just about trashed my (big) 39t chainring. This Forced me to drop to the granny, 26t ring, and leave it there.
Or that I hadn’t fully recovered from the event and subsequent respiratory illness picked up while my defences were low.
My body was starting to struggle, as my support crew fitted batteries to my Ay-Ups and I headed out for some night laps the mental games were starting.

Where had the fun gone?
This was usually my time to shine, steadily working through the night, keen to feel those uplifting sunrise effects and blasting through the next morning. Instead I was pulling on a set of tracky-dacks and wiggling into a sleeping bag. I think I just called it a night.

Just after first light I was back up and into a new set knicks. I was at a mtb event, there was a nice trail just outside my tent, it was time to at least stretch my legs. Out I went to complete a further 6 laps before calling it quits for the day.

Rocky Trail once again had brought us a great event with heaps of atmosphere. Thanks to my crew and team for their ongoing support during these challenging events, especially when the chips are down.
I look forward to the next enduro event, see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment